CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, April 21

Popular culture for easy mass consumption

10 bucks says that most people reading this know squat about books, music and cinema
- they bastions of popular culture in my opinion. I am tired of people telling me that "But I don't know anything about books, so-and-so is so well read".

That is all but hogwash. If I just take books as a platform. Think about it, all the people you know who read, count the same people as their influences - Douglas Adams, JRR Tolkien, Salinger, Gabriel Marquez, O Henry, Hemingway, etc. I mean there is a list of about say 100 authors whose works we are familiar with. Even the more 'hardcore' reader will not take a name which a person with a decent IQ will not be familiar with.

There is a distinct reason for this. This is a slightly complicated argument, so bear with me. The idea is that most of us who read books purchase it from formatted stores such as Landmark or Crossword. Indeed, since these have come up very few book-lovers have consistently decided to stay away from it. Ever since, it is the selection-manager/team of Crosswords that decides the ambits of popular collection and fringe literature for all of us.

We are presented 2 shelves for say non-fiction, and the same is populated by about 500 titles. The person browsing the store thinks he has the choice to "pick" his book, but somebody in the back-office has already decided which 500 titles from say the 20,000 odd at his disposal should be displayed for selection. The same is true for music and cinema as well. Sure, you can order a book/CD/film if it's not available, but only a true aficionado would subscribe to something like that.

As a result, an increasing homogeneity of popular culture is coming to be. Our idea of cinema comes to limited to popular Hollywood/Bollywood titles of the 90s. You are branded an intellectual if you have seen the cinema of staples such as Satyajit Ray, Ghatak, Kurosawa, Almodovar, Kieslowski, etc. It is cool in an intelligent way to name Francis Coppola or Stanley Kubrick as your favourite film-makers, the same way it cool to have read Rushdie or Naipaul or Shelley, or claim superiority of Jethro Tull over Pink Floyd or The Doors over The Beatles.

When you pick up the giant omnibus of the Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame, most rockaholics cannot even recognize even a single band for every 10-15 pages. The reason for that is our understanding of rock music floats in the universe of - Elvis, Buddy Holly, Dylan, The Beatles, Hendrix, The Doors, Pink Floyd, Stones, Dire Straits, Queen, Nirvana, etc. You know the usual suspects. The "cooler" ones may name The Ramones, Sex Pistols/The Clash & the punks, Velvet Underground, etc.

The idea is that even here you can easily compile a list of about 80-100 acts which would cover the "popular understanding" of rock music for about 99% of people. There is no diversity of thought. There really cannot be. There is nothing that encourages it, there is nothing that warrants it.

I am tired of our notion of popular culture being modified by marketing departments of mass retail chains and media houses running culture (read: films, music, etc) channels. I am not against Crosswords & its cousins, it has done a good job bringing culture-enthusiasts into the visible mainstream.

But where are the book-lover societies, the film-clubs that eagerly pursue cinema as a voracious passion rather than a retail-format driven lust of a "killer" collection or for that matter music buffs seeking the art of marginal music movements that feed their own notion of self and identity and by extension the music they are then inspired to create. In effect, the input is a giant mass of easy-to-consume-mashed-fruit-pulp for a population of a billion - therefore, the output can hardly be a 7-course spread of an exquisite spread.

And we still wonder why we have to see a "size-zero" (what does that even mean?) Kareena Kapoor gyrate in skimpy clothes while the sex-starved horny producer is busy getting through his routine of masturbating 10 times per day as he sees some desperate starlet lock-lips with a confused hero in a disaster-wreck of a plot in the name of a Rs 150 buck cinematic experience at the nearest INOX.

You really have to ask yourself then... was the 50 bucks you spent on a giant coke, really worth it?

13 comments:

S said...

The money spent on DIET coke is always worth it :D

P.s- I have a paper on forms of Popular fiction, so i do know what you mean.

Anonymous said...

You need to hang out with people who are not all like you. :-) Then, you will probably learn that the 'well-read' people actually do read different stuff. They do not discuss what they read in public for fear of meeting dropped jaws and eyes filled with ignorance. They procure books from the places you probably do not know exist. Many of them also have eclectic tastes in music too - so while they may listen to some popular bands, they know about the genesis of the band, the history and the evolution of their song-writing and music and so on.

And yes, we do not leave you our web addresses because we only accept readers like ourselves. Who do not read popular crap.

Good Luck.

PS: If you were more adventurous, you would not be looking for butter chicken in Japan. When in Japan, eat Japanese. Else why not just stay home, buddy?

Anonymous said...

Oh and in your profile, you list authors and poets under 'books'! I rest my case.

Venting Macha said...

@swetha:
:) my sympathies

Venting Macha said...

@Mr i-will-put-a-dash-cuz-I-dont-know-where-my-spacebar-is

Thank you for politely trying to put me in place by insinuating that that my social circle is full of people "like me" or as we say in plain english without sarcasm - full of people as dumb as me.

The post, if you took it seriously for more than 2 seconds you would understand, is about the so-called "well-read" or musically-inclined or cinema buffs - who are actually not so.

About leaving addresses, I am sorry, but I thought it was called blogging etiquette. I really don't know what else to do when I read a blog I stumble onto and want to comment.

I also apologize if the lack of adventurism in my culinary tastes in response to your post left something to be desired. In my defence I was feeling homesick. It is the same feeling which perhaps made you pay $ 5.99 for a plate of ugly pav-bhaji, or maybe you just like frequenting such places to pick on other desis working hard to save money in a foreign land. Either ways its none of my concern, thanks for dropping by on my blog :)

Oh & btw, there is no case to be rested. I listed authors under books because I thought it was implied that my favorite books come from their body of work.

I think I am going to keep it the way I like it. But anyways, thanks for pointing it out.

Have a nice day :)

Unknown said...

Who says The Doors are better than The Beatles? I'd like their head on a platter, please. And anyway, at least you do meet people who listen to all these bands mentioned here. I am surrounded by idiots who think Green Day is the coolest thing to have happened to Rock since the Stone Age (no pun intended).
Crossword is crap. The charm is in locating those little, secluded, old bookshops where you get old editions of classics (my dad recently got me a 1965 edition of The Catcher in the Rye from some shop in Delhi =D) or those little gems which are no longer in publication. In places like Crossword, I've seen nonsense like 'One Night @ The Call Centre' and 'Spouse' (Shobha De's shit) stacked under 'Modern Popular Fiction'.
By the way, I remember reading this interesting article recently about how people show-off regarding their "literary" tastes. There were hypocrites who said they call 'Midnight's Children' as their favourite book but read Sidney Sheldon every night. Hahahaha! How pathetic can it get?
"You are branded an intellectual if you have seen the cinema of staples such as Satyajit Ray, Ghatak, Kurosawa, Almodovar, Kieslowski, etc."
Intellectual is actually a very polite and a very nice term. The more common word is 'snob'.
"There is no diversity of thought."
Because if you're different, then, you're either a freak or a snob of the first order.


PS: Mr. Troll, plissss to be coming back. And if you have the time, plissss to be trolling elsewhere too. I also read "popular crap" you see. :D

S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
S said...

Wow, you guys have summed up my paper for me in a more informal language :D

The bottom line is- Even Mr. or Ms. Better read than anyone knows that more often than not, the books a person chooses to read does not give away how smart or not that person is. It could be preference, it could be a mood. I would like to read a Sidney Sheldon when I have really nothing to do, and I dont want to put my brain to use.

I would want to read a book because a close friend recommended it, or because people across the country call it an "intelligent" book, or because it won a prize. Who decides which books make a person smart and which don't? Nobody has the right to call a person reading Sidney Sheldon or Danielle Steel dumb. Maybe the person is question likes his style of writing... and usually prefers a light read. Some prefer Canonised literature. What gives anyone the right to attach an adjective to someone whose preferences might not be appreciated whichever wise-ass?

It is dominantly about preferences and the sometimes lack of exposure. Ofcourse, people like Mr or Ms Better read, disagree because some crap body of "scholars" prescribed some books to read which will ensure that they turn out to be "intelligent". Please share that information with us less priviledged ones so we can become as smart as you.

Venting Macha said...

@drenched:
Yes I hob-knob with people who think Morrison is God & Lennon is over-rated, but what to do :)

"There is no diversity of thought."
Because if you're different, then, you're either a freak or a snob of the first order"
- you hit the nail bang on the head.

As for mr/ms troll... we get all kinds dont we? :D

@swetha:
You are right, in the sense it is really not for anyone to "judge" somebody else's taste in popular culture :)

For the record, my post was about the increasing sense of "homogeneity" in the forms of popular culture that are accepted socially.

Anonymous said...

the engineering grads are fun to watch. i snigger when i see in someone's social networking profile with "one night @ call centre" in favorite books section. of course, i like their candidness when they outright say "nooo, i don't like books". Right. Books are for losers and homos anyway.

Unknown said...

@Stanley: Hahahahaha! If guys who read are homos and losers, I've been toldt that girls who are into books are "untalented wastes".


@Freaky: Where's the troll? :/ I am bored!

Unknown said...

I am mega dumb. I had actually come to tell you that you've been tagged and all I did was leave that idiotic comment and run away. Pffft.
Anyway, yeah, so, tag! You're it! :D

Venting Macha said...

@stanley:
what about "books: I hate books" in orkut profiles :) Never failing bullshit detector... haha!

@ drenched:
:D Yes I know, I was expecting the troll to return and all also. They dont make trolls like they used to in the good old days :P

& yes, I saw the tag. Will get around to it :)